Thursday, December 10, 2015

Jazmin Saraï Otis & Me

My first Olfactif subscription box came!  December's theme is "Smoldering," and I decided to sample Otis & Me first.  Jazmin Saraï is a collection by perfumer Dana El Masri inspired by different music.  Otis & Me is inspired by Otis Redding’s “Cigarettes and Coffee.”

First sprayed, it is spicy and citrus on me, with the black pepper, cardamom and bergamot notes very obvious.  The smokiness quickly asserted itself.  I didn't really get any coffee.  It wore quite close to the skin and lasted maybe 4-5 hours or so, becoming slightly more floral as time wore on.  I applied it in the afternoon and it was definitely gone by the time I went to bed.

This perfume was much more evocative than anything else I've tried as yet.  It reminded me of trips with pine trees, camp fires and citronella candles.  And then it made me think of a more recent and specific memory.  My sister and I had taken a trip to a yurt on the California central coast last month.  The yurt was only heated by a wood stove; it was quite chilly in the evenings so we quickly became acquainted with building fires.  One night, we were huddled around the stove and my sister was peeling and eating a pomelo.  That citrus wood smokiness is how I think of Otis & Me.

I really like this scent and what I experience when I wear it, but I actually feel like it is perfect for my sister, and not just because of the aforementioned scent memory.  When she lived in New York with me, she would often get this cocktail of  mezcal and grapefruit called a Salt and Ash and proclaim, "I love smokey things!"  I guess this is a round about way of saying that while I like this scent, it's not necessarily in character for me.  I will use the rest of my sample, but I don't know if I would buy a full bottle (unless it's a gift for my sister!).

TLDR

They say: Otis & Me by Jazmin Sarai is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Otis & Me was launched in 2014. The nose behind this fragrance is Dana El Masri. The fragrance features black pepper, bergamot, cardamom, turkish rose, incense, gurjan balsam and coffee.

On me: Spicy, citrusy, smokey.  Doesn't project a ton or last super long.
Y/N/M: Y if I'm in the mood for something smokey, and definitely Y as a gift for my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment